Your Guide to Flat Roof Construction in Telford
Flat roof construction in Telford from specialists at Hems will ensure you follow the necessary regulations and get quality and durable roof that will last at least 30 years!
Your Choice of Systems for Flat Roof Construction in Telford
There are two main systems used for flat roofs, with your choice dependant on what requirements your build needs.
Warm Flat Roofing uses insulation with no air gap either immediately above or below the roof deck.
Alternatively, Cold Flat Roofing typically has insulation packed between the rafters, with a 50mm air gap must be left above the insulation and allowances made for venting at the roof perimeters.
Your new flat roof will need to comply with the following Building Regulations:
- There must be a slope of 1:80 – meaning 80 units width for every 1 unit of a drop-in height
- Part H of the Building Regulations states that water should drain to one of two edges
- Waterproofing should extend up the adjacent walls at least 150mm from the roof surface
- Cold Flat Roofing requires ventilation to stop warm air condensing on the cold surface which could cause rot and mould growth
- Warm Flat Roofing must have a VCL (Vapour Control Layer) bonded to the back, meaning you don’t need to ventilate the roof
- Roofs must be wind resistant and strong enough to walk on
If you’re unsure about any part of Building Regulations, please talk to us and we will offer the best advice having worked with a host of different customers over 25 years.
It’s also worth noting that if you’re replacing more than 25% of the roofing area then you will be required to replace the thermal insulation.
Options for Flat Roof Construction in Telford
Here at Hems, we offer a wide variety of flat roofing solutions, including EPDM, which is regularly used for surfacing and repairs.
EPDM is easy to install and despite being lightweight it can withstand heavy foot traffic due to its elasticity.
We’re also an approved installer of leading flat roofing manufacturers Firestone, which is widely used for domestic and commercial properties.
Firestone has been used on many different buildings since they began trading in 1980, including;
- House Extensions
- Garden Sheds
Technical Expertise in Flat Roof Construction in Telford
The importance of using professionals for flat roof construction in Telford cannot be overstated, luckily Hems have been leaders in the market for three decades and counting right across Shropshire, including areas such as Bridgnorth and Shrewsbury.
We will provide you with a no obligation quote on any requirements for flat roofing in the domestic or commercial sectors.
For more information about all our products and services we offer, please get in touch!